Re: Incoming

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 02:51:28PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > I hope to dismantle the sites mirroring incoming in favor of
> > > direct access, it ultimately will use less bandwidth/cpu.
> >
> > this is bad. sometimes installing stuff from incoming is essential
> > because packages in unstable depend on new packages which haven't
> > made
>
> So? You can download it (slowly if need be) from the US or wait for it
> to hit the mirrors.

when a machine just got hosed because of a recent upgrade, i want to
be able to fix it immediately by using the packages which are in my
incoming mirror. they're already there, I can examine them immediately
with 'dpkg -I', 'dpkg -c' and read the changelogs etc before installing,
AND i don't have to wait for a (potentially very slow) download over
undersized (i.e. small and slow) trans-pacific links.

it does no harm to have incoming mirrors, and it demonstrably causes
harm to prevent them.

> Master is pretty well connected so I doubt it is horridly slow from
> anyplace in the world.

most of the world is nowhere near as well-connected as the US. speeds
you can take for granted are almost unheard of elsewhere - that's one
of the main reasons why mirror sites (for anything, not just debian
Incoming) exist.

craig

--
craig sanders