Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On 30 Nov 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Brian Mays <brian@debian.org> writes:
>
> > You can copy it, distribute it, you can even sell it, but you cannot
> > change it.  Funny, isn't it: the GPL is the only part of a GPLed project
> > that you are *not* allowed to modify.
>
> Well, that's not actually entirely true; other political documents are
> also not modifiable (like the GNU Manifesto, for example, and other
> such sections of various manuals).
>
> However, you are certainly free to make a Brian Mays Public License,
> take lots of text from the GPL, and issue that.  The real issue is the
> integrity of the text under the name "GPL".

Are you?
                   GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                       Version 2, June 1991

 Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
     59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
 of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

By law, what is not explicitly permitted is prohibited.  You are permitted
ONLY to make verbatim copies, you are not allowed to use it as a basis for
your own license because there is no explicit permission for it.  In fact
there is an explicit denial of the right to make any change at all to
it, one that is not delimited by further discussion, so is therefore
absolute by law.