Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 05:48:35PM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:

> We distribute Debian in its entirety.  We distribute a *complete*
> system, which is why we work so hard to ensure that everything fits
> together.  Just as each package can assume that an essential component
> is available for use (say, bash or perl) by its binaries, each package
> should be able to assume that a copy of the GPL has been placed on the
> system.  It is the *same* assumption.

I was thinking about it, and personally I like it as description for the
situation.

> Our packages, however, are designed to be used on our distribution, and
> are distributed as such.  Therefore, one copy of the GPL per
> distribution (i.e., as an essential part of the distribution) should be
> sufficient.

I don't consider that objective. We make a distro and we should not
consider debs only for debian, but I think GPL text is available and I
don't see that problems deeply.

--
Christian Surchi   |   csurchi@debian.org   |   christian@firenze.linux.it
FLUG: http://www.firenze.linux.it | Debian GNU/Linux: http://www.debian.org