Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

At 05:48 pm -0500 on November 29, 2000, Brian Mays wrote:

> csurchi@debian.org (Christian Surchi) writes:
>
> > I'm wondering about the meaning of "distribution". *Our* distribution
> > is the whole distro or a single package? What do we distribute? And
> > if we distribute a single package too, can we distribute GPL text in
> > the same place (more or less) and in the same way (mirror or cd for
> > example)? Or should GPL mean that GPL is *inside* the package?
>
> > Am I clear?
>
> We distribute Debian in its entirety.

No you don't. :)

If a RedHat user runs wget http://http.us.debian.org/path/to/GPLed/deb, did
Debian not distribute that file to the RedHat user?

> Our packages, however, are designed to be used on our distribution, and
> are distributed as such.

The intended use of a package doesn't seem very relevant to the question
of whether Debian is fullfulling the requirements of the GPL.  The GPL
does not wave its requirements when the recipients of the Program are
using the Program in a way that the distributor did not intend.