[nm-admin] Need for scanner to become a maintainer?

goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de writes:

 > Care should be taken to choose maintainers that recieve their fax on
 > the computer, so it can be used directly without another quality loss
 > by scanning.

This means that people without FAX machines can't be application
managers, then?

 > I think it is good that Debian has some legal document for each
 > maintainer. Just in case some legal instance drops in (like the FBI)
 > and wants to shutdown Debian because Maintainer Foo hacked their site,
 > Debian can proof the identity of Foo.

Oh, come on. This is utter FUD.

 > It makes people think twice before going through the trouble of
 > becoming maintainer.

Hm. Many good developers (especially crypto types) are pretty paranoid
about this sort of thing. I think saying "lets put arbitary
constraints in the NM-process so we can reduce the number of
pplicants" is a dangerous thing to do - you can't guaruntee to remove
the "lest worthwhile" potential applicants. Sure, the process itself
should (and does) involve a certain amount of screening; but there's a
difference between carefully screening applicants to ensure that the
worthwhile ones get selected, and arbitarily trying to put people off
to reduce our workload.

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org