Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

Folks,

I have been reading this thread for far too long....

Point and counter-point; Feignt and thrust; Whine and counter-whine....

I just recently exited the NM que. I had to jump through all the hoops.

And you know what? I agreed with every one of them, _including_ the
photo ID thingie....

If a person wants to join the project, IMHO they should have done
Much Reading(tm) of the founding/policy/etc documents. They should
learn at least part of what Debian is and how it operates.

During this reading, they should have read the New maintainer's Guide,
which outlines just _how_ to apply. This documents lists all the required
steps (sans response-time limits, but that's another thread).

Would it be unreasonable to expect a NM to have taken the time to prepare
to complete all of these steps _before_ transmitting their application?
Would this not reduce their time spent "in the que"?

IIRC, I satisfied _every_ step in my first transmission.

I was asked to re-sign my photo-ID with an attatched sig, as opposed
to a detatched, but that is really not the point.

[Should attatched sig format not be clarified in the NMG?]

And why should we not be required to provide a photo ID?

IMHO, it provides an element of traceability, as pointed out earlier
(several times, as a matter of fact) in this thread, and a bit of a
deterrent to Evil Doers(tm).

I might make an honest error in a package I create through
ignorance/laziness/whatever. I would accept responsibility for such a
blunder. Hence, no fear of providing ID.

But I damned sure wouldn't _intentionally_ upload something Evil under
_my_own_name_, where I can be traced and BuStEd for it. And since
the project has my name, address, phone number, picture, underwear size,
condom size, etc.... You get the idea, I'm sure. :^)

As one who survived the NM process, I fail to see what all the hubbub
and brouhaha is about. I went through the process in six weeks from
the time I got the idea to join until my first login to auric.

So, to Dale, Troup, and friends, a tip o' the hat to you all! :^)

Well done!

As to whether or not the old maintainers should have to provide a
photo ID and all that other stuff, I don't really care. The folks
who've been around here for years have (for the most part :^) already
earned their trust from the community. We NMs have yet to do so....

So, IMHO, the photo-ID thingie in not a Bad Thing, but a Good Thing.

Just my $0.02....

Cheers!
/ Clay Crouch, Shameless Bum ;^>   | <http://danno.tzo.com/~danno>   \
| Linux Administration/Consulting  | <danno@danno.tzo.com>           |
| Debian Package Maintainer        | <danno@debian.org>              |
|    "Away put your weapon; I mean you no harm." -- Master Yoda      |
| 1024D/7D2AD631: 2319 2356 FEDF 4631 63F3 762A E443 1C2A 7D2A D631  |