Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

(I have subscribed this list, so cc to me is not needed)

In <[🔎] 20000801204942.A2814@ulysses.dhis.net>,
  on Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:49:42 +0200,
 Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 08:21:37PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > I am rather scared by a statement that effectively assumes that being part
> > of Debian is a "privilege" that needs to be protected by people who
> > probably want to abuse it.[1] The only privileges you have as a Debian
> > maintainer is: Upload packages with a name that already exists to
> > the archive (overriding the existing package with that name) and reading
> > debian-private.
>
> It just occured to my that effectively, both privileges are not granted to
> Debian members only. We have sponsors who upload packages contributed by
> non-members. Although those can't upload themselves, it is prettym uch the
> same. And we all know that debian-private is sometimes leaked to non-Debian
> members (as unfortunate as it is).

For those who has been waiting long with their sponsored packages,
it is not "pretty much" the same to be or not to be a member of Debian.

If you doubt this, try to ask any of applicant in the queue.
They won't be waiting anymore if being a member of Debian won't
bring them anything.

> So I was wrong: There is no privilege granted by becoming a Debian member,
> unless I forgot to consider something.

 - Can use the Debian machine to develep their package for various arch
   without possessing them

 - Can use the Debian machine to develop and to distribute some Free
   Software without having one's own server

But these are trifle. Most important thing for me is

 - Can feel that I am a member of the "family" of the Debian,
   and can be proud of it (Think of our brave & beloved, espy).

This is the privilege, or honor for being a member of the Debian, I think.

# in exchange for the hard work on the packages or the tasks in the project.
--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>