Re: Please don't remove libc5 - old non-free software might need it!

Stephen Frost wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, David Starner wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 10:04:18PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > >...FUD tactics are nothing new and are common throughout history.
> >
> > What are FUD tactics? Are secret police a FUD tactic? If so, then
> > I doesn't understand why it's useful to consider FUD tactics as a
> > group. If it's not, then you're obviously not working from the
> > claimed definition (of Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).
>
>         Secret police is certainly a FUD tactic.  Assassinations can
> also be a FUD tactic.  Lawsuits can be intended to spread FUD.  FUD
> together is actually something more than just 'uncertainty' and
> 'doubt', which is one of the reasons it's useful.  It's the fear that
> is associated with such uncertainty and doubt that completes the set
> and provides useful meaning over and above the individual terms.  'FD'
> and 'FU' don't work so well, and may have other meanings which would
> cause confusion.

One can grant generalization of "FUD" to apply to more than mere
rumor-mongering to inhibit competition, as in the original usage
to refer to the behavior of a certain big-iron company,
who shall remain un-named (but who's been coming around to Linux
lately, [hint, hint]), but to associate that with terroristic tactics
seems to be stretching it too far.

It seems to me, though, not inappropriate to apply it to arguments
against excluding libc5 from future releases but saying that
apps that need it won't be able to get it.

--
Bolan.Meek@wcom.com 972-729-5387
bolan@koyote.com (home phone on request)