Re: request for a init script policy

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 10:39:48AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com> was heard to say:
> > I would like for us to get together and come up with a standard here.  Doing
> > this will benfit everyone and hurt no one.  People who want the silly colored
> > boot messages can wrap our init, as can users of tools like Aurora.
>
>   I think this is a great idea.  Can it be a goal for woody?  Please? :)

That would mean implementing whatever the LSB standards require right now as
a debian policy, and changing it again later when the LSB publishes the
finished version.

I've had a look on what they have there, and it would require some work to
implement the stuff in Debian. It goes well beyond making sure all init
scripts return status 0 on OK ;-) And some of our init scripts ARE a mess.
Thankfully most of them are not that bad, but still...

It is doable, but is it worth the hassle to require those changes _right
now_ and require them again later when LSB compliance becomes a goal?

  Henrique Holschuh