Re: An ammendment (Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 10:32:57PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> My proposal does not throw out the social contract.  It strengthens
> it.

no, it does not strengthen it. it throws out the bits of it that you
personally don't like.

> I fail to see how you can call supporting and spreading non-free
> software "good, valuable principles."

there are many things you (repeatedly) fail to see. you deliberately
blinker yourself and refuse to see any of the flaws in your proposal
when they are pointed out to you.

> There is no logical or ethical basis for such a statement.

whether that is true or not is debatable, and not particularly relevant.

there is however, a huge *practical* basis for it, with numerous
supporting examples. the existence of non-free within debian is directly
or indirectly responsible for many non-free programs being re-licensed
as free software and/or cloned as free software.

i don't really expect you to take any of this in. like many other
points, it has been made several times before in this thread and you
have ignored them all every time.

craig

--
craig sanders