Re: An ammendment (Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free)

jgoerzen@complete.org (John Goerzen) wrote:

> For the sake of the argument, I'll accept in this case your premise
> that non-free software helps users get their work done.  Even if I
> assume that, let us ask this: why does this non-free software have to
> be distributed by Debian?

Well, it doesn't, of course.  Nevertheless, it currently *is* packaged
by Debian developers and distributed on Debian's ftp site.

You have proposed to change this.  Therefore, the burden is on you to
convince the project that this change is necessary.  Even you have
admitted that this not a question of resources.  Your argument is
essentially a political one; you are trying to make a statement.

I'm afraid, however, that this argument is going to be rather
unconvincing to someone who believes that Debian is a volunteer project
for the distribution of software for the Linux and Hurd operating
systems, which was the original goal of the project long before the DFSG
and the Social Contract.

Sorry, John.  You're going to talk yourself blue in the face long before
you are going to convince some people on this list of your position.
You're welcome to keep on trying, however.

Personally, I don't buy the "moral/ethical" arguments on either side,
and I wish that people would leave that stuff out of the discussion.

- Brian