Re: why not replace individual programs? (xv)

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 09:28:19AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Radovan Garabik wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 08:58:48PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > Let's try this: everything that you can do with xv you can do with
> > > either gqview or GIMP.
> >
> > I just made some png files, and neither xzgv nor gqview can
> > display them.  xv is fine. I am going to try to hunt the bug
> > and send bugreport, but the poi nt in favor of xv is: xv is
> > more mature, other viewers might have a bug or two..
>
> Try imagemagick's display.

does not work.
xzgv and display just show black rectangle
gqview shows vertical stripes
zgv and xv are ok

> (Reminds me to send a letter to the editor to Linux Journal about
> promoting xv like they have recently, instead of free software)

I am not saying I prefer xv over free software, I am saying I found a situation
where free software fails, while xv does not. (and I want to have the bug
found and fixed, so that I need not use xv, but until then, I have to)