Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free

On 10 Jun 2000, John Goerzen wrote:

> Please.  The dependency is already not meetable within Debian.  You
> mean, not meetable with files on ftp.debian.org.  Which is really a
> non-issue, as the files could just as easily be retrieved from
> ftp.notdebian.org or whatever.

So uh.. the default APT will list contrib, but not any non-free source?

IMHO, if this goes through contrib will have to be cleansed of things with
missing dependencies, most likely that software will get demoted into
where ever non-free went. Our archive will have a net loss of DFSG
software in that case.

If you think that won't happen, then consider the current case with Helix
gnome, no software in our archives are supposed to be dependent upon
their packages.

Just to repeat.. if this GR passes, end users will find it extremely hard
to even learn any new repository exists, let alone what a valid
sources.list line is. It certianly won't be in the APT documentation.

Jason