grendel@vip.net.pl (Marek Habersack) writes:

> ** On Jun 10, John Goerzen scribbled:
> > How about leaving the choice to the people, not bugging the users, and
> > not crippling the distribution?  That's what I've proposed.
> What?? You left NO choice to the users with your GR. Right now they have the
> choice to download software off the net, all on their own, or to fetch debs
> from the official Debian infrastructure. When you leave them with only the
> former possibility, they will have NO choice.

They have every choice.  They can decide whether or not to list
non-free sections in their sources.list.

Right now, they have to either download debs from debian.org all their
own, or download debs from somewhere else all their own, or download
the file and compile it all their own.  With the change, they would
have the choice of downloading it from eg notdebian.org all their own,
or downloading it from somewhere else all their own, or downloading
the file and compiling it all their own.  The difference is in the
name of the site.  To them, little.

> > Note: the distribution does not contain non-free now.
> Yah, and that makes your GR completely pointless.

The FTP site does.  Why is it so hard for people to understand?
FTP.DEBIAN.ORG CONTAINS MORE THAN THE DISTRIBUTION.