Re: An ammendment (Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free)

[Let's retry this with the promised PGP sig...]

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 05:22:43PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > DEBIAN GENERAL RESOLUTION
> > Proposed by: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
>
> I wish to propose an ammendment to the proposed resolution as follows.

Your amendment looks like a completely different proposal to me.

> The text of the resolution should be replaced with a call for the
> developers to resolve that:

>   1) the Debian project continues to acknowledge the utility of providing
>      non-free software for it users.

It's more convenient, agreed.

>   2) the Debian project also acknowledges that some developers may be
>      unwilling or unable to explicitly work on non-free software, and
>      holds that this is not and should not be detrimental to their work
>      on the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, or their contribution to the
>      Debian project.

...  *shrug*

>   3) the Debian project considers equating the importance of the "contrib"
>      and "non-free" areas described in the Social Contract with the
>      official Debian GNU/Linux distribution inappropriate.

Whether or not we do, we should.

>   4) noting that the Debian project already distributes various other
>      collections of unofficial packages, the project endorses a move to
>      specifically collect the various other add-on components such as
>      "experimental", "orphaned", "non-free" and "contrib" and to clearly
>      separate these from the "main" collection.

Something like you suggested before?  project/woody/{contrib,non-free,etc}
seems like a good solution to me (and one that I believe has a chance in
hell of happening..  Sorry John, as much as I'd like to see Debian totally
divorcing non-free, it doesn't look likely.)

> The intention of this ammendment is to provide a means for developers to
> offer their support of the existing social contract while acknowledging
> that the current situation does indeed give somewhat too much credibility.

Something must be done.  This is something.  Therefore, this must be done.

This proposal does not have the technical limitations of John's regarding
contrib dependancies and still works toward the goal of making non-free
more clearly not part of Debian.  This is a good thing.  My message is PGP
signed for official whateverthehell procedural support applies.  Seconded,
sponsored, whatever, I honestly don't much care to look it up right now, I
have code to write.  (Free code, dammit!)

[..]
> I imagine this ammendment would be best as a separate option on the
> ballot to the original proposal, and as such it will require five seconds.

You have one.

<woot> Man, i wish knghtbrd were here to grab that for his sig list.
[...several hours later...]
<Knghtbrd> woot don't know me vewy well, do he?
<Knghtbrd> muahahahaha