Re: Seconded, sponsored. (was Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free)

    Adam> Please read section 5 of the social contract.  Debian is a
    Adam> platform for non-free software.  If it were not, parts of
    Adam> Debian would be violation of points 5 and 6 of the Debian
    Adam> Free Software Guidelines, and Debian would not be able to be
    Adam> released as free software.  It is supported in the social
    Adam> contract and DFSG.

How would this violate the DFSG, pray tell?

"No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups"

So we'd discriminate against non-free software producers?  I got news
for you (apparently): the DFSG already does that, going by your
definition.

"No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor"

We'd discriminate against "producing proprietary software"?  Again,
the DFSG already does that.

[more confused rambling deleted]

    >> I do not stand for non-free software in general.

    Adam>    Debian does,

See?  This is a *very* *good* reason for splitting non-free out of
Debian[1], if Debian's users think that "Debian stands for non-free
software".

The Social Contract starts with "Debian Will Remain 100% Free
Software".  And the way I understand constitutions and such (and the
Social Contract is a kind of "Grundgesetz"), the *order* of clauses
*is* significant.

Bye, J

[1] It will be a split, instead of a real "we killed it", because
enough people are interested in seeing non-free kept somewhere.

--
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae@ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html