Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:53:26AM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> This would mean a considerable number of broken packages on the Debian
> archives, where we presently have none (in a theoretical sense).

But this just isn't true.  For instance, take these freely-licensed old
hardware emulators that require ROM images from ancient computers/game
consoles.  These programs will have undeclared dependencies (because of the
"abandonware" status of what they depend on -- old stuff like this is
usually very restrictively licensed and thanks to Mary Bono won't be in the
public domain for at least another 80 years, give or take), but often won't
be at all useful without them.

I think we should continue to package DFSG-free software, even with
dependencies that can't be met, declared or undeclared.  The package
description, of course, should tell the user how to obtain the materials
depended on.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Software engineering: that part of
Debian GNU/Linux               |    computer science which is too difficult