Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 08:49:53AM -0700, Philippe Troin wrote:
> > What happened to the data section project, this gmt package is just data, the
> > worlds coastline in very detailled format i think. It is useful, and is not a
> > bloat. A bloat was when there were more than two version of the x sources
> > around, the normal one and one for ARM or something like that.
>
> I'm just asking for some common sense. This package has 3 different
> levels of details for the world coastline (low, high and full). Are
> they really needed ? Can't just a low can provided with some pointers
> to where to get the additional data ?
>
> As a matter of facts, I'm kind of opposed to packaging "pure
> data" (this encloses bible-kjv, anarcho-syndicalism.deb, etc) because
> for "pure data", packaging is minimal (just dump the file(s) into
> /usr/share/doc and that's it). This doesn't apply to some reasonably
> sized "pure data" like /usr/share/dict/words etc...

Ok, so lets create a data section, one that doesn't get mirrored the same as
the rest of debian. One that does not have source package, or at least not in
the current form (for the GMT-full coastline, that would be 47MB source and
47MB binary). It is OK to create such a section, also required, there is no
reason why data does not have a right to be as neatly packaged as the rest of
debian is. Maybe creating a ftp.data.debian.org or something like that would be
good here.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER