Re: can the u.s. variant of debian be exported?

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 21:06:20 -0700, jerry perlman wrote:
> Can the u.s. variant of debian be exported?

Most likely, yes. http://www.debian.org/legal/ contains details regarding
cryptography in Debian, including copies of notifications to the US
government.

> This is essentially my question,. I have a friend accross the border from
> the U.S. in mexico and want to know if i download Debian 3.0r2 can i
> export it to Mexico?

AFAIK yes. Mexico isn't on the limited list of states considered too evil by
the US for the export of cryptography.

>And i know that the non u.s. version cannot be downloaded in the U.S. for
>private use, just want to confirm this.

Not necessarily (there is some stuff there you shouldn't import into the US
due to patent issues, but most of the software on non-us has or had issues
when being exported from, not imported to the US).
See http://non-us.debian.org/README.non-US for details.

HTH,
Ray
--
Lately, the only thing keeping me from being a serial killer is my distaste
for manual labor.