New FTP-master needed, or other fix.

There have been repeated complaints that new packages sit in the NEW queue
for inordinate amounts of time with no feedback.

There have been many other complaints about failure to act on the part of
the ftp masters.

There have been other complaints about lack of feedback from the ftp masters.

In general, the ftp masters' response to these complaints has been "We're
too busy."

It seems from this that there needs to be at least one more ftp master.

I am sure that there exist Debian Developers who are qualified, trustworthy,
and willing to take on the role.

As a start, I propose that the DPL and current ftpmasters come up with a
process for screening volunteer ftp masters for qualifications and
trustworthiness, and then ask for volunteers.  (Both steps will presumably
take a while, but as far as I can tell, they haven't been *started* yet.)

If there aren't any volunteers who pass the screening, I will stand corrected.
:-)

(I have heard arguments that the ftpmasters should be as few as possible so
as to provide one paranoid, trustworthy gateway.  Despite this, there have
been NEW packages uploaded to Debian main with no source!  Clearly this vaunted
oversight is flaky at best and illusory at worst.)

If my claims are challenged, I hope that some of the people who I am referring
to regarding the complaints about the current state of things will speak up.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html