RE: general intrest

Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 02:21:04PM -0500, Yokomoto8@aol.com wrote:
>> I am interested in replacing a very frustrating Windows ME system.
>> All the info I find states that Linux can do any thing and even more
>> than MS. My most major concern is, will it work with current files I

In my opinion, you should search for a nearby LUG and get in touch with
the members who are already using a Linux distro. Or even better Debian.

Should be able to find a LUG nearby from http://lugww.counter.li.org/

> Note however that MPlayer and OpenOffice.org are not yet available in
> Debian stable (woody).  OpenOffice.org will be in the next release I
> guess but I'm not so sure about MPlayer, it might be necessary to
> compile some things from source -- not difficult of course :).

Unofficial debs for woody are available from

# for MPlayer
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main

# for OpenOffice.org [apart from several other mirrors]
deb http://www.openoffice.org.br/openoffice woody main contrib

So, all that Yokomoto should have to do is

add the above lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

> Anyway, don't expect to much problems, but also don't be scared from
> the first message (good or bad) you will see.  Sometimes (for
> uncommon things, HW/SW) it might require some looking around.

and there is a lot of help at debian-user@l.d.o.

	Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag        Giridhar.Nag(@t)ubinetics[.]co.in

Controversy is wasteful, but lays things out, shows where people stand,
(or refuse to), is a necessary yardstick of opinion, and is, heavenly
compared to the alternative of being a helpless silent passive tool of
anybody loud and obnoxious who knows how to bark at some sheep. - Alfie
Costa on debian-project

an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics