Re: admins: please clarify /etc/motd on auric

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > You expect me to know where all of our machines are hosted?  I'm the SPI
> > > Treasurer and I don't know that.  Maybe Mako Hill knows.
> >
> > No, I only expect you to be able to type date on both the remote and
> > the local machine and do some maths, but apparently that seems to
> > escape your facilities...
> >
> > Puzzled,
>
> Don't be.  It is annoying as all hell to have to find out where I am in an
> international network of machines for an international project all the time,
> because people never remember to write UTC -foo.

This won't change if the motd would say it's UTC-0500, nor if it would say
PDT, so why all this?  If such a warning does affect us, we need to check
the local time and our own time.  The cronjobs are in local time anyway,
so "knowing" the difference between machine local time and dd local time
won't help anyway, even worse, I'd assume it would confuse even more.

> And if you have to ask why it is annoying, well, the answer has something to
> do with "local mindset", and the problems it creates for a worldwide project.

That's why when-webwml and when-dinstall exist partially, but that's
another story, of course.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
	-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum