Re: irc.debian.org

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:18:00PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:53:59PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > There's nothing particularly deep here; everyone who's used OPN/freenode
> > is fairly well aware how much/little it netsplits, and that it's doing a
> > fundraising drive. Presumably a fair number of people are aware of OFTC
> > now too. Given that a bunch of developers seem to prefer OFTC, is there
> > any reason not to setup a "<|>" bot to relay traffic between OPN and OFTC,
> > and let people make their own choices about which network to support?
> People will complain about how the bot is spamming them with stuff
> from another network that they didn't want to see, and [...]

Probably. People often complain about complete inanities. (Present
company excluded, of course) The mere fact that someone might complain,
vociferously even, shouldn't be enough to stop you doing something if
it's useful.

Forget the politics and the ego for a moment: some people don't want to
work on or with OPN anymore, so they've created some #debian* channels
on another server, with the *exact* same charters. There's *no* losses
to linking the channels, and some wins.

Heck, forget the politics and ego for more than a moment.

Cheers,
a "overly optimistic" j