Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 10:20:37AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Secondly, not everyone in #debian* IRCs on "irc.debian.org", whatever
> that may point to. A lot of people explicitly connect to an OPN server,
> because they have a closer server than rotation, they want to use IPv6,
> or whatever. The conversion won't just be clean-cut (doubly so if you
> consider DNS TTL issues), it'll be rather hairy.

Nobody ever claimed (or hopefully had any illusions) that suddenly the whole
channel would fly over elsewhere, but I disagree that there would be
anything hairy about it.

Moving irc.d.o would move the majority of newbies, and placing a note in the
channel about the move would get a lot of the other users to go switch over
(or just connect to the other network in their client).

In any case, on both networks, OPN and whichever one we would move to, there
are always tens or even hundreds of people which would be continue to help
people, regardless of whether the channel is on irc.d.o or not.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.