Re: irc.debian.org

Previously Rob Levin wrote:
> I think the Debian project benefits from the cross- fertilization,
> from the exposure to other groups and other projects.

I'm not sure we get cross-fertilization from being on OPN. It is
convenient to have lots of free software related channels on a single
network but then again pretty much all clients have decent multi-server
support these days.

> But the Internet boom is over, and it's harder to allocate the time
> when there are not so many employers willing to give people time to
> work on community projects.

It forces people to be more realistic. Networks there were big before
the boom don't seem to be affected as they already had a proper
structure in place. More recent networks like OPN need to figure out
how to survive.

> Our parent organization, Peer-Directed Projects Center, has just started up.
> We need a small operational budget just to have the resources to proceed.

This is what I don't understand. As far as I know the three largest irc
networks (IRCnet, Undernet and EFnet) are completely run on a voluntary
basis. They don't have a non-profit to support them and do not ask for
donations. And they are a lot bigger (over 80k users, while freenode has
just a bit under 7k according to http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/ ). So
how come that freenode, a relatively small network, needs so much money?

Wichert.

 /wichert@wiggy.net         This space intentionally left occupied \
| wichert@deephackmode.org                    http://www.wiggy.net/ |