Re: Fear the new maintainer process

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:57:58AM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 05:48:26PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > And WHAT makes you think that a delay is a sign of "limited interest"?
>
> How else can a lack of reply be interpreted?

Note we are talking about a matter of weeks or a couple of months,
not about years.

It is amazing that you can't imagine what circumstances in real life
can lead to a reply.

* A broken arm, maybe.

* A serious mayhem at work.

* A long holiday.

* Not having all the pieces together necessary for the reply.
  (scanned photo ids etc).

Of course, for us, to whom Debian is the air to breathe, it is difficult
to understand how anything can interrupt people from caring and feeding
the Debian zoo.

Yes, I am terribly upset, because this is so obvious that the
main motivation for these rules are to reject people, and not
to welcome them. I joined the project when it was open for people
to join with the same mindshare. You could breath around here,
and enjoy the community and learn. Now it is only open to people
with a huge interest, proven capabilities and a lot of time on their
hands. There is no room for community, because it is all rules
and organization ("you must not quote me because of australian law"
"I may, because it is fair use". An extreme example, but also
very illustrative).

Even if you don't see any connections, and agree with the general
principles of the new maintainer procedure, you still have to answer
the question: What is so extremely troublesome with waiting for
several months before closing a record? And can those reasons be
fixed by modyfing the procedure to allow that?

Marcus