Re: Constitutional, Parliamentary Issues (was Re: CFV: Non-freearchive removal)

Hi,

        Well, since I have recieved only positive responses, how about
 this draft rewording of section 4.1.5 of the constitution.
 4. The Developers by way of General Resolution or election

   4.1. Powers

    Together, the Developers may:
     1. Appoint or recall the Project Leader.
     2. Amend this constitution, provided they agree with a 3:1 majority.
     3. Override any decision by the Project Leader or a Delegate.
     4. Override any decision by the Technical Committee, provided they
        agree with a 2:1 majority.
-    5. Issue nontechnical policy documents and statements.
-       These include documents describing the goals of the project, its
-       relationship with other free software entities, and nontechnical
-       policies such as the free software licence terms that Debian
-       software must meet.
-       They may also include position statements about issues of the day.
+    5. Issue and modify nontechnical policy documents and statements.
+       These include documents describing the goals of the project, its
+       relationship with other free software entities, and nontechnical
+       policies such as the free software licence terms that Debian
+       software must meet. A special clause applies to the documents
+       known as the Debian GNU/Linux Social Contract and the
+       Debian Free Software Guidelines: the developers may modify
+       these foundation documents provided they agree with a 3:1 majority.
+       They may also include position statements about issues of the day.
     6. Together with the Project Leader and SPI, make decisions about
        property held in trust for purposes related to Debian. (See
        s.9.1.)
 Rationale: The clause being modified has been seen recently to be
 quite ambiguous. Since the original wording appeared to be amenable
 to two wildly different interpretations, this change adds clarifying
 the language in the constitution about _changing_ non technical
 documents. Additionally, this also provides for the core documents of
 the project the same protection against hasty changes that the
 constitution itself enjoys.

	I do not think well in legalese; and I am sure the wording can
 be improved upon.

        Once we have polished this draft a bit, say, by this weekend,
 I'll see what I can do about getting a GR going.

 	manoj
--
 "Monarchies, aristocracies, and religions are all based upon that
 large defect in your race -- the individual's distrust of his