Debian packages of cpdb-libs and cpdb-backend-cups

Thorsten,

you have probably followed OpenPrinting and seen that for using CUPS 3.x (or any CUPS as Snap package) the printing functionality needs changes, especially the print dialogs must be able to work all-IPP without using PPD files and also need to cope with temporary CUPS queues. So they all need to get updated.

As this will not be the last major change on CUPS and we also want to ease the integration of any new, upcoming cloud printing services, we are separating off the support code for communicating with the print technologies in use (CUPS, clod printing service, ...). The communication will go into backends, one for each print technology, the Common Print Dialog Backends. Each backend will be maintained by the maintainer of the respective print technology (CUPS backend by OpenPrinting). The print dialogs need a common interface to talk with the backends by D-Bus and do not need to directly communicate with the print service. So if we change CUPS, we change the CUPS backend appropriately and print dialogs continue to work without the GUI and app maintainers have to run after each CUPS change.

See also

https://openprinting.github.io/achievements/#common-print-dialog-backends

This would require in Debian to package cpdb-libs and cpdb-backend-cups and then change GUI libraries and apps which already support CPDB to actually use it. Up to now this is at least GTK4, others to come.

But the more urgent reason for adding cpdb-libs and cpdb-backend-cups to Debian is not this, but that we can build GTK4 in Debian with printing via CPDB and not directly with CUPS. This way we will get a smaller delta between the Debian and Ubuntu packages of GTK4. This would be awesome and reduce the maintenance burden a lot.

The same will happen for other software in the future: Qt, LibreOffice, Chromium Browser, Firefox, Thunderbird ...

Thorsten, would you introduce the packages cpdb-libs and cpdb-backend-cups (they are both from OpenPrinting) into Debian? You can use the Ubuntu packages as base for that, as they are already in Ubuntu and tested there.

Thanks in advance