Re: Picking up orphaned ghostscript

On 23/12/2023 11:25, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
Hi Steven,

On 22.12.23 18:47, Steven Robbins wrote:
I noticed recently that ghostscript has been orphaned and decided I'll
volunteer to be maintainer.

great, so I can remove an item from my agenda :-).
>From the wiki site, I can see that ghostscript is listed as team maintained. However, the control file doesn't currently list the team in the Maintainer
field -- whereas "cups" does.  Is this just an individual maintainer preference
thing?

The repository is still within the Debian namespace, so the connection is not that close as with cups.

Would it be OK if I changed the maintainer to the team email (and list
myself as uploader)?

Yes, that would be fine.

I suggest to have Ghostscript under the Debian printing team umbrella to keep all the printing stack at one place. But Steven, mark yourself as uploader then.

For the foreseeable future Ghostscript will stay a central part of the printing stack, it is a mature PDF interpreter and also the only free software PostScript interpreter. Applications send the print job data in PDF and if the printer does not understands PDF, Ghostscript rasterizes the data into Apple Raster, PWG Raster, CUPS Raster, PCL 5c/e or turns it into other high-level formats as PostScript or PCL-XL.

Of what one finds in distros the only alternative of a PDF interpreter is Poppler, if no PostScript interpreter is needed. But Ghostscript is also more optimized for printing.