Re: compiler warnings against recent CUPS

Do you mean all these warnings about deprecated PPD-file-related functions?

These are harmless for now, as long as the target distro, like Bookworm (and also Ubuntu 23.04 and 23.10) currently, uses a CUPS 2.x version with libcups2.

The deprecated functions get actually removed in CUPS 3.x which will get released near the end of this year and so will be the CUPS version used by Ubuntu 24.04 and of the first Debian release after Bookworm.

Functionality of printing into a PDF file is nowadays provided by print dialogs, so the situation does not change. cuṕs-pdf is to print to PDF from the command line or to create a print queue not having a printer at hand, for development and debugging.

cups-pdf is currently a classic CUPS printer driver and would need to be turned into a Printer Application, an emulation of an IPP printer. This is the format of printer drivers in the world after PPDs being abolished.

See

https://openprinting.github.io/current/#the-new-architecture-for-printing-and-scanning

and also the video linked there.

And