Printing with bad kerning and strongly pixeled

Hi,

I have a CUPS server in my LAN running Debian stable, which (probably)
does some rendering and then passes on the print job to a Lexmark C534
Laser Printer, also using IPP. This has been working flawlessly for
years.

I recenly upgraded the CUPS server to Debian bullseye, and since then
print jobs appear pixeled and with very bad kerning. I feel reminded of
the late 1980ies regarding print quality, only that it was a dot matrix
printer back then.

Example PDF: www.incluesion.de/stuff/LoremIpsum.pdf
Photograph of a print out: www.incluesion.de/stuff/LoremIpsum.jpg

Where would I start debugging this?