Re: Request for Removal: Unmaintained libppd in Debian

Christoph Biedl wrote...

> 2. Allow co-existence by renaming legacy libppd
>
>    The conflicting binary package from (legacy) libppd is renamed to
>    avoid a conflict with your version. So "libppd-dev" could become
>    "libppd-legacy-dev", and keep policy 10.1 in mind². Also, gpr needs
>    an according adjustment. I would take care of that as well.

Status update:

The renamed src:libppd package was just uploaded as src:libppd-legacy.

@Thorsten: A few days ago, you made an offer I cannot refuse. So if
you can do what you consider appropriate to help this one through NEW
quickly, please go ahead.

@Till: There are some things you could start working on:

First, you could upload your libppd as soon as -legacy was ACCEPTED.
As I understand things, there's no need to RM the old one, although it
could make things more obvious to observers.

Also, as I prefer to be open in what I do, and especially here where
we're doing something rather unsual: Let's give some clues to those
who are disturbed once they ever discover this process. In other
words, I'd appreciate if you could add a transition notice in the
descriptions of your packages, until trixie, something like "Debian
used to ship a different software as libppd0, that one is now provided
via libppd-legacy-dev and libppd-legacy1".

If you want to upload *all* your new stuff to Debian - and I haven't
understood yet what is preventing you from doing so: I would also send
a message like "News from the CUPS printing in Debian" to debian-devel
where you, among all the other things, would mention the libppd
situation, and how we resolved it. This would also be of help in my
upcoming discussiong with the release team: My change to libppd
implies a transition, even if it's about just one package (gpr).

So finally about the time frame: Transition freeze will be in less
than two weeks, so there is not much time to lose. Unless they are
willing to grant an exception for that minimal situation, but I'd
prefer to not exercise that.

Cheers,

    Christoph