De : Brian Potkin <claremont102@gmail.com>
Envoyé : lundi 11 mai 2020 13:58
À : Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org>
Cc : debian-printing@lists.debian.org; Frédéric Brin <duckx@mezimail.com>; Frederic Brin <Frederic.Brin@exane.com>
Objet : Re: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2 package support

On Sun 10 May 2020 at 17:18:13 +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> Hello Frédéric,
>
> Le samedi, 9 mai 2020, 21.13:28 h CEST Frédéric Brin a écrit :
> > I am on my way to receive a new Epson XP-8600 printer.
> >
> > Looking at the current support Epson provided a driver through epson-
> > inkjet-printer-escpr2.
> >
> > I did some research and found out that your team current support the v1
> > version of this driver as epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.
> >
> > I did checkout the git tree and found out that it's a well refactored
> > version of the Epson delivered deb version. As far as I dig into the
> > current packaging of the 2 versions, they look really alike.
> >
> > Could you please help me throught the process to have this package
> > implemented into debian ?
>
> Unfortunately, the epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2 cannot be packaged in Debian.
> From the source RPM package [0], I extracted the source upstream tarball [1],
> which contains the following files:
>
> ./escprlib/lib/libescpr2_64.a
> ./escprlib/lib/libescpr2_aarch64.a
> ./escprlib/lib/libescpr2_32.a
> ./escprlib/lib/libescpr2_armhf.a
>
> These are precompiled library archives, for which no source is available. This
> makes these unfit for Debian main nor contrib.
>
> [0] epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.1.11-1lsb3.2.src.rpm
> [1] epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.1.11-1lsb3.2.tar.gz
>
> Furthermore, the licensing files available in [1], (specifically
> COPYING.EPSON) (without spending too much time analyzing them), don't grant
> redistribution rights:
>
> > 3. Other Rights and Limitations.  You agree not to modify, adapt or
> > translate the Software and further agree not to attempt to reverse engineer,
> > decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of
> > the Software.  You may not rent, lease, distribute, lend the Software to
> > third parties or incorporate the Software into a revenue generating product
> > or service.
>
> This ("You may not (…) distribute the Software to third parties (…)") makes it
> unfit also in Debian non-free.
>
> In other words, Epson doesn't provide a free software driver for their XP-8600
> driver. They also _don't_ allow modification, adaptation nor redistribution of
> the non-free driver they provide; Debian is not allowed to make it more
> accessible, discoverable or better integrated for the benefit of its users.
>
> That's sad, and entirely Epson's responsibility.
>
> > I would be glad to help, beeing a long time Debian user. I am currently
> > trying to implement it myself (Still not done yet.. Beeing a newbie to
> > the git debrebase process).
>
> I'd be happy to help you understand the git debrebase workflow in other
> contexts, but I'm sorry that epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2 cannot not be this
> example. :-(

Perhaps Frédéric would be interested in using

  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

The XP-8600 appears to be a suitable printer.

Cheers,

Brian.

The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed on the internet. Therefore EXANE cannot be considered responsible for the contents.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.

This message is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments.
Although it may contain some elements from publications produced by Exane's research department, this message is not research.
Please consult our web site for important disclaimers and disclosures concerning Exane's research. (http://www.exane.com)