Re: Printing packaging rework 2020

On 04/02/2020 21:39, Brian Potkin wrote:

So I recommend for Debian:

1. replace ippusbxd by ipp-usb (the latter should be debianized ASAP).

That is someone else's call.

Someone needs to package ipp-usb.

2. Update SANE to 1.0.19 and also add the "airscan" backend.

1.0.29 with the sane-escl backend has just been released. I expect the
Debian maintainer will package it in due course. sane-airscan isn't yet
in upstream SANE and, it seems to me, upstream is not falling over
itself to get it there:.

   https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/issues/202

I would be happy to see sane-airscan as a separate package in Debian.
It appears to do the job at least as competently as sane-escl.

airscan has some advantages as ADF support for example. In its current version it is also fully compatible with simple-scan (scan size control), whereas escl has a bug in SANE 1.0.29 and needs a patch (already submitted to SANE upstream).

3. Recommend driverless printing and scanning also on multi-function
    devices, on both network and USB.

In principle I would subscribe to this. I already operate my ENVY 4500
on the network in this fashion. However, I am having difficulty in
understanding how one uses the escl protocol for scanning with a USB-only
device.

On devices with network AND USB eSCL scanning works via USB when one uses ipp-usb for IPP-over-USB access.

JFTR. The HP Ink Tank 310, a modern (2018/19) USB-only printer is
reported by a user to give

   bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
   bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
   bInterfaceProtocol 2 Bidirectional

with 'lsusb -v'. I think bInterfaceProtocol needs to be 4 for IPP USB to
be a feature of the printer's design. Drivers only here, I would say.

Yes, for IPP-over-USB protocol 4 is required. If there is no 7/1/4 USB interface, the device does not support IPP-over-USB. So these printers work only with the classic driver approach.