Re: Fixed a bug in CUPS which breaks cupsctl

Le jeudi, 20 février 2020, 19.56:23 h CET Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in CUPS 2.3.1 cupsctl is broken, at least in some cases you get messy
> output and when setting configuration items cupsctl corrupts cupsd.conf.

Uploaded in 2.3.1-8.

> See my upstream bug report:
>
> https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5744
>
> I have fixed the bug and attached a patch.
>
> Due to the inactivity of Apple on CUPS (I mentioned this with an earlier
> issue here) I want to ask you whether you could add this patch to the
> Debian package of CUPS, so that it syncs into Ubuntu.

I wonder if at some point it would not make sense for OpenPrinting to start
maintaining a friendly fork of CUPS, tailored towards Linux systems,
eventually with sub-versioning; such as 2.3.1+op20200222 versions. It would
reduce the Debian-specific patches' list to a handful; and allow for other
Linux distros to find these "prepared" CUPS versions more easily, no?

That would allow us all to collaborate without needing to implicate Apple. But
do we know what Apple's plans are here?

Cheers,
    OdyX