Syncing Ghostscript with Ubuntu

Hi,

I am syncing most printing-related packages between Debian and Ubuntu to reduce packaging work.

One of the packages I was not able to sync was Ghostscript, as openjpeg2 did not pass the Ubuntu security requirements:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/711061

In Ubuntu the packages are in two repositories, Main and Universe, where Main is covered by commercial support for appropriate customers, Universe not, and so it must be possible to install a system of only packages from Main. This means that a package in Main cannot depend on a package in Universe. Main also has much higher security requirements than Universe.

A new package gets into Universe and for getting it into Main you have to post a "Main Inclusion Request" (MIR), telling whether the package is well maintained upstream, has security-relevant features like SUID executables, has CVEs and whether they got fixed in a timely manner, ...

Above-mentioned bug report is such a MIR, for libopenjpeg2, one of the dependencies of the Debian package of Ghostscript. In Ubuntu Ghostscript is in Main, therefore I can only let it depend on libopenjpeg2 if libopenjpeg2 also had been in Main, which was not the case. Therefore I had to keep a Ubuntu delta, letting the Ubuntu package use the libopenjpeg2 which the Ghostscript upstream maintainers included with Ghostscript, which is massaged by the professional programmers of Artifex and so provides the required security.

Now, 9 years after this MIR got posted and 7 years after my first comment (when I looked into syncing Ghostscript for the first time) finally theupstream developers fulfilled our security requirements and the MIR passed, libopenjpeg2 moved into Main and I was able to sync Ghostscript.

So now we have 9.50~dfsg-5 in Ubuntu.

But unfortunately, I overlooked another Ubuntu delta. The Ubuntu Ghostscript has some extra lines in debian/rules to make Ghostscript build with -O2 instead of -O3 on ppc64el as (at least on Ubuntu) gcc gets stuck on one file:

----------
DEB_HOST_ARCH ?= $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH)

ifneq (,$(filter $(DEB_HOST_ARCH),ppc64el))
    export DEB_CFLAGS_MAINT_STRIP=-O3
    export DEB_CFLAGS_MAINT_PREPEND=-O2
endif

See

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ghostscript/+bug/1862053

Could you add this change to the Debian package, so that I can really sync Ghostscript?

Thanks in advance