Re: Printing packaging rework 2020

On Fri 31 Jan 2020 at 18:52:13 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> On 31/01/2020 18:03, Brian Potkin wrote:
> >
> > The ability to scan, if it exists, is also lost. I'd be inclined to
> > guide a user down a driver path.
> >

> We have several improvements on that front:
>
> Most important is the new ipp-usb project:
>
> https://github.com/alexpevzner/ipp-usb/

[...]

> So I recommend for Debian:
>
> 1. replace ippusbxd by ipp-usb (the latter should be debianized ASAP).

That is someone else's call.

> 2. Update SANE to 1.0.19 and also add the "airscan" backend.

1.0.29 with the sane-escl backend has just been released. I expect the
Debian maintainer will package it in due course. sane-airscan isn't yet
in upstream SANE and, it seems to me, upstream is not falling over
itself to get it there:.

  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/issues/202

I would be happy to see sane-airscan as a separate package in Debian.
It appears to do the job at least as competently as sane-escl.

> 3. Recommend driverless printing and scanning also on multi-function
>    devices, on both network and USB.

In principle I would subscribe to this. I already operate my ENVY 4500
on the network in this fashion. However, I am having difficulty in
understanding how one uses the escl protocol for scanning with a USB-only
device.

JFTR. The HP Ink Tank 310, a modern (2018/19) USB-only printer is
reported by a user to give

  bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
  bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
  bInterfaceProtocol 2 Bidirectional

with 'lsusb -v'. I think bInterfaceProtocol needs to be 4 for IPP USB to
be a feature of the printer's design. Drivers only here, I would say.

Regards,

Brian.