Re: Printing packaging rework 2020

On Fri 31 Jan 2020 at 15:25:30 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> On 31/01/2020 14:03, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > I would say 100% of popular network printers available for users to
> > purchase in at least the past five years have AirPrint. For our
> > purposes this is the defining aspect of driverless. A number of devices
> > is USB only.
>
> How common are USB-only printers vs. network printers?

I do not know and have never done a survey to find out. My guess would
be very few modern devices, and the ones I came across I didn't make a
note of the models. The canon MG2550S is one such.

>                                                        Do modern USB-only
> printers do IPP-over-USB?

I have no idea how one goes about finding this out without the output of
'lpusb -v', whether the device is USB+network or USB-only. I've never
seen anything in a printer's specs that mentions IPP-over-USB.

>                           Or is there still a substantial fraction of users
> using printer drivers due to USB-only printers?

Not from my observations. With a network+USB device a user chooses a USB
connection (IMO) either from habit or because (for some reason) they say
they find it easier. When encouraged, they take the network option and
happy to have a working printer.

> Independent of this we should generally recommend network multi-function
> devices to Linux/Chrome OS/free-software-OS users if they want to print
> and/or scan.

Agreed. I think that many, many users do take this route.

Regards,

Brian.