Re: Printing packaging rework 2020

On 31/01/2020 14:03, Brian Potkin wrote:
That's perfectly correct. However, from my observations in user forums,
driverless does not have the visibility amongst users one would like or
expect.  One reason is that the GTK print dialog deals badly with IPP
printers.

   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1509

A second reason is that a change in cups-browsed.conf is needed for a
printer to show up in the GTK dialog and users are unaware of this. A
consequence of both these infelicities is that users immediately seek a
driver solution. OTOH, IPP printers are immediately enumerated in Qt
apps and LibreOffice without cups-browsed.

Great to hear that 2 of 3 print dialogs (Qt and LibreOffice work but GTK not) work with current CUPS and without need of cups-browsed.

Which change in the cups-browsed.conf is needed to make the GTK dialog display the printers correctly?

I would change the defaults of cups-browsed appropriately.