Re: IPP printers and the GTK print dialog

On Mon 10 Dec 2018 at 16:43:13 +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:

> I have an ENVY4500 with
>
>  pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,image/jpeg,application/PCLm,image/urf
>
> In the Firefox print dialog I see "print" as the printer destination and
> its status as "Rejecting jobs". When selected, that changes to "Getting
> printer information", the mouse ponter has a spinner attached to it and
> the Print button is greyed out. cups-browsed is not running.
>
> Up to now I thought the rejection was due to the ENVY4500 not accepting
> PDF, which is what would be sent by Firefox. The conjecture was not
> based on any experience with a PDF printer - I do not have one- and I am
> now (for various reasons) dissatisfied with my explanation.
>
> Basically: can one print from Firefox to an IPP printer (called print)
> which accepts PDF? Or does the GTK print dialog only cater for queues?

A PDF IPP printer was put on the network with

 ippserver -p 631 -l backroom -k test

with the same outcome ("Rejecting Jobs" etc) as previously. What is of
interest is that test is not an additonal entry in the dialog but it
replaces (as shown by the location) the entry for the ENVY4500.

A bug report is in order, I think.

Regards,

Brian.