Re: LP #1083757 and LibreOffice

On Thu 04 Jan 2018 at 16:53:30 -0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> I have opened this Blueprint when CUPS 1.6.x was under development and in
> this version CUPS' print queue broadcasting and browsing was dropped. The
> DNS-SD broadcasting was supposed to replace it but it was missing out
> automatic print queue creation on CUPS clients.
>
> I actually solved the problem by adding cups-browsed which introduced
> automatic print queue creation based on DNS-SD broadcasts from remote CUPS
> servers.
>
> This required CUPS, cups-browsed, and avahi-daemon running on the client.

This is indeed my understanding. To my mind, this is now the basis of
remote printer/print queues discovery and display for applications and
commnad line utilities on a client. I have found it to work very well.

> Your observation of a recent LibreOffice version showing printers in its
> print dialog with CUPS and cups-browsed stopped is only possible if the
> print dialog itself grabs DNS-SD broadcasts of remote printers and lists
> these printers. Assuming it is correctly implemented it talks IPP to the
> printers/remote CUPS queues directly, without using a locally running CUPS
> daemon.

Not that I didn't believe it, but I have checked a number of times that
it is so (libreoffice 1:5.4.4-1). The naming of the queues/printers is
not the same as in the GTK dialog and, with cups-browsed running, there
is no duplication (#877713).

> The latest approach is the new CPDB (Common Print Dialog Backends) project
> of OpenPrinting. It was developed in the GSoC 2017 and was already
> introduced on this mailing list (see srchives).

I saw the the announcement and look forward to CPDB's release and having
the opportunity to test it.

> Print dislogs are supposed to communicate with printing systems (CUPS,
> Google Cloud Print, Print to file, ...) only through backends, so that new
> printing systems only need a new backend to get supported under all apps and
> changes in printing system require only changes in the corresponding
> backend, not in each dialog.
>
> LibreOffice has accepted the changes for supporting this concept, but it is
> needed that Debian accepts the new packages with the libraries and the
> backends, see earlier postings (unfortunately all unanswered) on this list.

LibreOffice has obviously resonded positively to the Blueprint but,
after quite extensive searching, I can find nothing relating to where
and when the final decision was made. Release Notes, mailing lists and
changelogs are silent. It is a small point but, still, part of the big
picture. There must be a reason for the Blueprint's page to record

 > Bug #1083757: LibreOffice Print dialog needs to support Bonjour
 > broadcasting of remote printers 	Fix Released

(BTW: Qt 5 now supports remote print queues. The "IDEs and tooling"
section at https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:42.3/Features).

Cheers,

Brian.