Unsound advice in NEWS.Debian?

Originally I was going to report this as bug, but then I got to thinking
I might be misunderstanding the context it was written in or the item
itself.

NEWS.Debian offers advice from 2009 that promotes having a user in the
lp group to access the full functionality of hplip.  I haven't looked at
the behaviour of each of the four facilities listed but printing and
scanning do not appear to be affected by a user not being in this group.

However, events have moved on. A user being in the lp group allowed (and
still allows) another user's job files to be read. Now it will give read
access to cupsd.conf and the PPD files, which undos the work done to
make CUPS more secure. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Brian.