CUPS 2.2~rc1-2 problem how to get back to sync

Hi,

On Aug 9 I have synced CUPS with Debian as 2.2c1-1 was released. I did not get any buid failure messages after the sync and so all looked OK for me. There was also nothing severe-looking in debian/changelog (after 2.1.4-...):

cups (2.2~rc1-1) experimental; urgency=medium

   * New 2.2~rc1 upstream release
   * Refresh patches

  -- Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org>  Mon, 08 Aug 2016 20:35:24 +0200

cups (2.2~b2-1) experimental; urgency=low

   * New 2.2b2 upstream release

   * Patches:
     - Refresh all
     - Drop the wrong fix for #2763
     - Udate patch to use the ipv4's 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost to also
       patch the ipp:// shared printer URL, that fixes the tests
     - Add patch to revert the addition of pdftourf usage in the test-suite
   * Refresh manpage translations
   * Rewrite debian/watch following the new upstream schema

  -- Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org>  Fri, 05 Aug 2016 23:36:28 +0200

Now I have looked at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+changelog and seen that you did some changes based on CUPS 2.2~rc1-2 which probably has auto-synced after my sync. Its debian/changelog entry is:

cups (2.2~rc1-2) experimental; urgency=medium

   * Add patch to ignore the 'Unable to write uncompressed print data:
     Broken pipe' error on kfreebsd
   * Initialize git-dpm; reword most patch descriptions from the original
     commits

  -- Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org>  Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:09:58 +0200

You tried to fix this release somehow with following changes:

cups (2.2~rc1-2ubuntu2) yakkety; urgency=medium

   * Revert 2.2~rc1-2 changes they are buggy and remove ubuntu patches
     wrongly which leads to a failing build, those needs to be sorted out
     but meanwhile we want the depends fix in.

  -- Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com>  Wed, 10 Aug 2016 17:06:09 +0200

cups (2.2~rc1-2ubuntu1) yakkety; urgency=medium

   * debian/control:
     - let libcups2-dev depends on libcupsimage2-dev since, should fix gtk
       build failing with the current version

  -- Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com>  Wed, 10 Aug 2016 15:19:35 +0200

The first one (2.2~rc1-2ubuntu1) seems to be backported from 2.2~rc1-3 and would have arrived in Ubuntu by itself via auto-sync:

cups (2.2~rc1-3) experimental; urgency=medium

   [ Jeremy Bicha ]
* Add libcups2-dev dependency on libcupsimage2-dev, as ppd.h includes raster.h
     (Closes: #833889)

  -- Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org>  Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:51:20 +0200

What is strange for me is 2.2~rc1-2ubuntu2. You remove changes of 2.2~rc1-2. Do you remove all changes (resulting in 2.2~rc1-1 plus the changes of 2.2~rc1-3) or only a part of the changes? Which Ubuntu changes got removed by 2.2~rc1-2?

I have looked into the build log of the failed build of 2.2~rc1-2ubuntu1 was due to the removal of the Ubuntu patches without de-activating the Ubuntu patch applying part in debian/rules.

So probably there are two solutions

1. Re-introduce the Ubuntu-only patches (if they were not overtaken by Debian)

2. De-activate the Ubuntu patch applier code in debian/rules, or better make it passing on gracefully if there is no Ubuntu-specific patch, so that the code stays available for Ubuntu-specific patches in the future.

Didier, why did you remove the Ubuntu-specific patches? Are they incorporated in upstream CUPS now? Or did you overtake them to also use them in Debian?

Seb, Didier, what would be the best solution here on which we could agree?

Seb, is there any other problem introduced by 2.2~rc1-2 which made you totally revert it? which one?

Seb, could you report such issues to me or Didier (OdyX) or perhaps even report a Debian bug?

Seb, Didier, I would like a lot if we could agree on a CUPS package which can be synced between.