CUPS: Why do we disable page logging in page_log by default?

Hi,

to address the following bug reports

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups-filters/+bug/1585380
https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/4798

I have done some fixes in cups-filters (already on the BZR, will be in 1.9.0 to be released soon).

But these fixes only work if page logging is not generally disabled in CUPS, as it is currently with the CUPS which comes with Debian and Ubuntu.

The disabling is done by a line

PageLogFormat

without any assigned value in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.

One can control this default setting at build time by the --enable-page-logging option for ./configure, which controls whether cupsd.conf will have this line or not.

So my question is whether there is a reason for disabling page logging in Debian and Ubuntu? If yes, which reason? If no, we should add

--enable-page-logging

to the ./configure command line in debian/rules of the CUPS package, to avoid bug reports like the above-mentioned ones.

WDYT?