Re: [Printing-architecture] Upstream future of ippusbxd

Hello,

On Jul 7 08:10 James Cloos wrote (excerpt):
"TK" == Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> writes:

TK> I am thinking about joining [ippusbxd] into the cups-filters
TK> upstream package to not have too many tiny packages to make up the
TK> complete printing stack and cups-filters contains all
TK> manufacturer-independent software for communication with printers
TK> which is not part of CUPS itself.

Be sure, if you do, to note the licensing issues for all of those who
packages cups-filters for distributions.

And also make sure that nothing which derrives from Mike's code ever
inter-links with anythig which derrives from Daniel's, since the
licenses are incompatible.  (GPL2 vs Apache2).

As far as I know (but I am not a lawyer) the crucial terms here are
"mere aggregation" versus "combining two modules into one program"
in the GPL2, see
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#MereAggregation

As far as I know (but I am not a lawyer) it does not make a difference
when GPL2 sources and sources with an incompatible license are in one
same tarball versus when they are in different tarballs.

As far as I know (but I am not a lawyer) one can have GPL2 sources
and sources with an incompatible license in one same tarball without
causing a GPL2 license issue when both parts are separate programs.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)