Re: "Main Switch" to turn off CUPS totally when we use systemd as PID 1

Tim,

On Aug 15, 2014, at 10:39 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> Not sure how it is configured on SuSE but the Fedora systemd
> configuration files only use socket activation for the local UNIX domain
> socket, not for any external ports.

The CUPS 2.0 version of systemd support does both the domain socket and the loopback interface:

    [Socket]
    ListenStream=/private/var/run/cupsd
    ListenStream=[::1]:631
    ListenStream=127.0.0.1:631
    BindIPv6Only=ipv6-only
    ReusePort=true

This matches how things are done with launchd on OS X.

When sharing is enabled cupsd handles listening to *:631 and the org.cups.cupsd.path unit sees the /var/spool/cups/cache/org.cups.cupsd file created by cupsd to keep cupsd running all the time.