Re: Making the CUPS daemon startable on-demand

Hi Till,

Le mercredi, 22 janvier 2014, 22.31:48 Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> in Ubuntu we also want to have print functionality in the mobile
> version, Ubuntu Touch (therefore I also did the binary package
> splitting). As mobile devices run on battery and have limited RAM one
> should avoid keeping daemons running alll the time, especially if they
> are used infrequently, like the CUPS daemon.

ACK.

> Therefore I want to add a functionality to make the CUPS daemon
> startable on-demand and, if CUPS go started on-demand, stop when the
> print queues empty out.

Nice. I'm interested, but see below.

> Ubuntu uses Upstart and not systemd, but it looks like that one can
> easily "translate" the systemd implementation to Upstart. See
> especially the "Bridges" section of the Upstart documentation here:
>
> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#upstart-socket-bridge
>
> Now I do not want to make Ubuntu-only distro patches but find a
> solution which works on both Debian and Ubuntu (to avoid package
> delta, keeping synced) and ideally which can get submitted upstream.

Sure.

> For this I want to know, how Debian starts services. Upstart? systemd?
> System V Init? Something else? Should we create a CUPS patch
> supporting all systems and submitting this upstream?

The answer to this question is currently debated in the following
technical committee question: http://bugs.debian.org/727708 which isn't
settled yet.

Also, the question of the systemd support patch has been asked in
http://bugs.debian.org/732435 . I think both your question of a multi-
init's patch and the systemd patch questions should wait before the
resolution of #727708 …

Cheers,

OdyX