Re: cups-filters 1.0.44 and binary package splitting for mobile

Hi Till,

Le vendredi, 17 janvier 2014, 13.19:06 Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> I have released cups-filters 1.0.44 upstream and updated the Debian
> GIT repo appropriately.

Nice, thanks.

> In addition, I have split two binary packages to allow a low-footprint
> printing stack on mobile devices, the "level 2" on
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-1305-printing-sta
> ck-with-mobile-in-mind

I would really have appreciated a public discussion here on debian-
printing@l.d.o before seeing extensive split patches applied on the
packaging repository, which just make me feel like an uploading-monkey
for Ubuntu purposes now; mind you, these are also Debian packages. This
earlier discussion would have opened options about binary package names,
etc.

That said, I don't disagree with the general goal, or with the split,
but really, if you want to maintain cups and cups-filters "in Debian
first" (which is great, I absolutely welcome that, it reduces the
workload for everyone), then you also need to do it the "Debian way",
which implies discussion with or within the concerned package
maintainers _before_ doing extensive changes.

> Now, by installing avahi-daemon, cups-daemon, cups-ppd-less,
> cups-browsed, cups-filters-ppd-less, poppler-utils, and the libraries
> pulled in by these one gets a printing stack in the order of two-digit
> megabytes, without the bulk of drivers and PPD files.

In particular, I find the -ppd-less postfix absolutely awful; in english
it would (as far as my l10n-en skills go) stand as "-ppdless" anyway.
Also, it describes what it doesn't do, rather than describing what it
does. Something like -coreprotocols, -core, -minimal, -direct or even
-ppdless would sound way better. My personal preference would go for
"-direct", but let's discuss!

> OdyX, the changes are in the Debian GIT repos of CUPS and cups-filters
> now. Can you upload the packages to Debian so that they sync into
> Ubuntu? Can you also check whether I did the splitting correctly?

Besides the naming issue above:

* Replaces and Breaks need to be "<<" the version that is uploaded, aka
  1.0.44-1, not "<=" the latest uploaded version. People out there could
  have rebuilt cups-filters without the split; see Debian Policy §7.6.1.
* You have created new changelog entries without replicating earlier
  changes (some of which fix bugs, which come automagically with git-dch
  --meta).
  I have certainly already mentionned this to you; I prefer to generate
  (+ hand-edit) changelog entries using git-dch at release time (this
  makes backporting, reverting, etc easier). So if you don't stick to
  this, please at least make sure to replicate my changelog entries)

I will fix the two above problems and upload as soon as we can find an
agreement on a nicer postfix than -ppd-less (and when cups 1.7.1-2 will
have migrated to testing).

Cheers,

Didier