Re: CUPS name and trademark

Hi Tommy and thanks for this (well-deserved) question,

Le mardi, 24 décembre 2013, 19.26:54 Tommy Bongaerts a écrit :
> As we probable are all aware of, the CUPS name and logo are trademarks
> owned by Apple. On the CUPS website at http://www.cups.org we can
> read that one cannot use the name and logo on derivative works
> without Apple's consent.
>
> Since the Debian package for CUPS contains a number of patches that
> are not in the upstream source code, I think it's safe to say the
> Debian's version of CUPS can be called a derivative work.
>
> My question: did Debian ever got Apple's consent to redistribute their
> modified version of CUPS under the same trademarked name and bearing
> the trademarked logo?

Apparently so. Quoting the 1.3.7-6 changelog, where the name of the
source was changed from cupsys to cups:

>  cups (1.3.7-6) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * Rename the package to cups. This is the proper upstream name.
>     Upstream has made it clear that the usual distro patches are not a
>     trademark violation.  This unbreaks all the documentation out
>     there, which refers to "cups", not "cupsys" (including names of
>     the init script), as well as unbreaks dependencies of
>     openprinting.org's LSB printer driver packages.
>     (Closes: #482296, LP: #233790)
> (…)
>  -- Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org>  Fri, 23 May 2008 00:32:17 +0200

I must state though that a) I couldn't find a public statement from
Apple to confirm this; b) my work on cups started well after that, so I
never cared about this issue.

Finally, this trademark policy is apparently quite standard in free
software; also the usual policy for software _names_ is to not care for
a renaming unless asked otherwise, which never happenned in this case.
Also, Apple releases a GPL-2 tarball including the cups trademark and
logo, thereby explicitely allowing modifications of them.

Cheers,

OdyX