Re: thinking about testing migration when uploading

Hi Peter,

Le dimanche, 8 décembre 2013, 03.07:01 peter green a écrit :
> cups-filters was getting pretty close to migrating to testing when
> 1.0.42-1 was uploaded resetting the counter and failing to build.

Indeed; sorry for this, I didn't expect the new cups-filters version to
FTBFS on kFreeBSD.

> unless there is a good reason not to* it's generally best to let one
> version migrate before uploading another. Especially as cups currently
> has broken build-depends in testing** that would have been fixed by
> the migration.
>
> * I apologise if there was a good reason to think that 1.0.41-2 should
> not have migrated, I couldn't see any major bugs closed in the
> changelog but I may have missed something.

The only reason that motivated me to upload 1.0.42 was to stay in close
sync with upstream; I have in the past let upstream fly to far ahead (in
this and other packages) and it imposed me too much work to get back in
sync; I prefer to stay timely close to upstream versions when possible.

Second, as we're still outside the freeze (also far from the freeze
date), I don't consider the "1.0.42-1 didn't migrate to testing" a big
problem. I will make sure to get this fixed and migrated to testing, be
it with a fix for the FTBFS on kFreeBSD on top of 1.0.42 or with a
(unlikely) revert to 1.0.41, introducing an epoch.

> ** Strictly speaking this is a rc bug in testing though one that is
> probablly not worth filing unless one thinks the migration of the
> missing build-dependency is unlikely in the forseeable future)

I wasn't aware of that bug. Also, Debian hasn't usually made sure that
testing was self-compilable outside of freezes, so as long as this gets
fixed through unstable, I don't care too much (yet).

Cheers,

OdyX